Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cesareans in Cyprus: why women choose surgery

In her recent report, 'The big question: to cut or push', Alexia Saoulli begins: "Gynaecologists in the private sector have been accused of advocating caesarean sections at times convenient to them and without sound medical reasons, but when you talk to mothers themselves a slightly more complex picture emerges. While some doctors do actively encourage caesareans, all too often it is the mothers themselves who opt for the procedure."

It's certainly worth a read, and below, I've highlighted some of the reasons cited by women who did choose cesarean delivery:

Aileen: “I wanted to have a caesarean. I had one with my second son and it was just so easy that I decided I was going to have another one when I was pregnant with my daughter... You know exactly when your due date is. There’s none of this waiting around for your water to break. You plan it, you set a date, pack your bag and that’s it. A few hours later you’ve got a baby."

Katerina: “I was terrified of natural childbirth. I just couldn’t take the thought of the pain. I then thought that it would be more convenient to know the specific date so that I could have everything ready. I discussed it with my doctor and he agreed to perform a c-section... I don’t regret it for a minute. It was painless and harmless. They say the recovery time takes longer but a friend of mine who gave birth naturally developed an infection after they had to cut her during labour and took even longer to recuperate. I don’t think I could have handled being cut. I just couldn’t bear thinking about it."

Joanna: admitted that she’d asked for caesarean just so that she could have a Virgo baby rather than a Libra. Her doctor did nothing to dissuade her, she said. “I’d heard that Virgo boys are easier going than Libra boys and so I asked to be booked in for a c-section on September 20. My due date was September 22 which was too close to the cusp and I didn’t want to risk it.”

Maria: said her doctor encouraged her to examine her options but was very supportive when she finally decided to go ahead with the c-section. “I was so nervous about the pain. I know some cynics think the doctors are in it for the money, and maybe some are, but my doctor was definitely supportive of me and my decision. She took into account my fear, which was important... A friend of mine said this was because it would be less hassle for the doctor rather than having to talk me through my fear. I don’t know if this is true or not but I’m just glad that my doctor bothered to really listen to me and do what I wanted.”

No comments: