Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Finally: The news media reports on WHO's lack of evidence for a 15% cesarean rate threshold

Great news! Today in The Times, you can read the report "Pressure off to cut Caesarean births as ‘myth’ of too many demolished", written by Helen Rumbelow and David Rose.

As readers of this blog will know, ever since I first wrote an article in October 2009 about the WHO's quiet admission in its 2009 handbook that "there is no empirical evidence for an optimum percentage or range of percentages" for cesarean deliveries, I have been trying to get the information made more public.

A press release with my colleagues at the Coalition for Childbirth Autonomy in October 2009 was published on the Medical News Today website (causing great controversy at the time), as was our original official call for evidence from the WHO in October 2008, but until today, the news had really not reached a wider audience.

I hope that this Times article will be the catalyst for an open debate about the true risks and benefits of all birth plans, and an understanding that arbitrary cesarean rate targets in any country is both dangerous and unethical.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hear, hear! I read that article and felt so relieved that WHO has abolished its guidelines. The most important thing is that all women who need c-sections get them. Cesareans get such bad press, but people forget that in fact they can save lives. As far as I'm concered, they are mini miracles! I'm so glad I found this blog. I had an elective c-section last May (my baby was breech due to bi-corunate uterus) and found it an incredible, positive experience but couldn't get over other women's negative attitude towards them. We have to support all women in there choices and be thankful for c-sections when natural childbirth isn't possible.