Monday, July 22, 2013

Royal Congratulations to William and Kate!

It's great news today that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have become new parents to a baby boy.

No news on the name yet - only that he was born at 4.24pm at St Mary's Hospital in London, weighing 8lb 6oz.

Now, I haven't been particularly enamoured by many of the political and ideological debates about what Kate may or may not have wanted in her (private) birth plan, but I thought I'd share a very short anecdote from my experience of talking with other mums this morning.

Like most people, we were chatting about the media circus surrounding the impending Royal birth, and the cameramen who have been standing outside in this unbearable heat for days.

Then someone said, "I thought she might have chosen a cesarean", to which another mum replied, "No, I don't think she's the type to do that." There was nothing malicious in the way she said it; the mum in question is a truly lovely person, and I didn't pick up on what she said.

It's just that in a somewhat Carrie-esque manner, I couldn't help but wonder... what "type" of woman do others perceive as being the type to choose a cesarean?

I'm certainly one, and if you're reading this blog, you might be one too - so I wonder what it is that typifies us in the eyes of others?

My guess is - the perception of others and our personal reality are very likely two different things.

1 comment:

Mrs. W. said...

Like the "type" of woman who looks at the risks and benefits of the options available to her and chooses accordingly? That "type" of woman?